MindTree Verbal Ability Questions And Answers
MindTree Verbal Ability MCQs : This section focuses on "Verbal Ability" for MindTree placement drives. These Verbal Ability MCQs are asked in previous MindTree placements/recruitment exams and will help you to prepare for upcoming MindTree drives.
1. Choose a suitable alternative for the underlined word in: Inspite scoring very high in the exam, Arun failed to secure admission in the college of his choice.
Explanation: In spite of is the correct usage but there is no option mentioning it. Despite is used without any preposition, which is a synonym of inspite of. The only difference between in spite of and despite is the of. For example:
Despite the pain in his leg he completed the marathon. Or In spite of the pain in his leg he completed the marathon. They both mean the same
2. I ______ a friend named Raj who ______ a horse ranch in the city.
Explanation: Blank 1: Subjects I and You use plural helping verbs in the present tense, here have is the only plural helping verb.
Blank 2: Now the subject of discussion is Raj, which is singular in nature. It requires a singular verb. Singular verbs generally end in s' for example buys, owns, gets etc.
3. Choose the Synonyms of the following words: Accused
Explanation: Accused : a person or group of people who are charged with or on trial for a crime.
Indicted : formally accuse of or charge with a crime.
4. Choose the Antonyms of the following words :Spike
Explanation: Spike : a thin, pointed piece of metal, wood, or another rigid material.
Diminish : make or become less
5. Choose the alternative which is approximately opposite in meaning to the highlighted word.
She must abstain from smoking too many cigarettes.
Explanation: Abstain means to not do something enjoyable that you think might be bad. Indulge is the only word which means to allow oneself to enjoy the pleasure of,so the correct answer is Indulge.
6. Change the voice of the following sentence
The crowd cheered the leaders speech.
Explanation: The given sentence is in active voice and in simple past tense. To convert it to passive, past participle of the main verb has to be used.
7. A good employee (1)/ is one with place (2)/ is always willing (3)/ to go the extra mile. (4)/ No Error(5)
Explanation: Which should be replaced by the word who as we are talking about a human being and we need subject pronoun in place of which.
8. Through her efforts (1)/ she manage to (2)/ open several institutions to (3)/ help the downtrodden. (4)/ No Error (5)
Explanation: Manage is incorrect. She managed to is correct as the action has already happened therefore second form of the verb will be used.
9. I heard Anita’s Friend saying that she _____________in the Badminton competition for the last 6 years.
Explanation: has been winning: With the use of the term last 6 years we know the the action is from the past but is continuing in the present, and so we use present perfect continuous tense.
10. On Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru the Ball certainly did ____ more than usual.
Explanation: When we see a past tense form of verb used before a blank; did in this sentence, it is important to use the present form of the action verb following it. hence did bounce.