IBM Quantitative Aptitude Questions And Answers
IBM Quantitative Aptitude MCQs : This section focuses on "Quantitative Aptitude" for IBM Exam. These Quantitative Aptitude MCQs are asked in previous IBM placements/recruitment exams and will help you to prepare for upcoming IBM drives.
1. In a race of 600 metres, A can beat B by 60 metres and in a race of 500 metres, B can beat C by 50 metres. By how many metres will A beat C in a race of 400 metres?
Explanation: A runs B runs C runs
600 metres race 600m 540 m
500 metres race 500 m 450m
Combing ratio A runs B runs C runs
300metres - 2700meters - 2430metres
Unitary A runs B runs C runs
Method 400mtres - 360 metres - 324 metres
∴ A beats C by 400-324 = 76 metres.
2. A real estate agent sells two sites for Rs. 18000 each. On one he gains 25% and on the other he loses 25 %. What is his loss or gain percent?
Explanation: profit and loss formula
Loss % = x^2/100 = 625/100 = 6.25%
3. A can do a work in 40 days and B in 28 days. If A and B together do the work, then approximately in how many days will the same work be completed?
Explanation: A's 1 day work = 1/40
B's 1 day work = 1/28
They can work together in = 1/40 + 1/28 = 16 days (approximation)
4. If the compound interest on a certain sum of money for 3 years at 10% per annum be Rs. 993, what would be the simple interest?
Explanation: Let P = Principal
A - Amount
We have a = P(1 + R/100)^3 and CI = A - P
ATQ 993 = P(1 + R/100)^3 - P
∴ P = Rs 3000/-
Now SI @ 10% on Rs 3000/- for 3 yrs = (3000 x 10 x 3)/100
= Rs 900/-
5. A fruit seller had some oranges. He sells 30% oranges and still has 140 mangoes. Originally, he had:
Explanation: Suppose originally he had x oranges.
Then, (100 - 30)% of x = 140.
70/100 x = 140
x = (140 x 100)/70 = 200
6. Teena is younger than Rani by 6 years. If the ratio of their ages is 6:8, find the age of Teena:
Explanation: If Rani age is x, then Teena age is x-6,
so (x-6)/x = 6/8
=> 8x-48 = 6x
=> 2x = 48
=> x = 24
So Teena age is 24- 6 = 18 years
7. A number whose fifth part increased by 5 is equal to its fourth part diminished by 5, is
Explanation: x/5 + 5 = x/4 - 5
⇒ x/5 - x/4 = 10
x/20 = 10
⇒ x = 200
8. In a lottery, there are 10 prizes and 25 blanks. A lottery is drawn at random. What is the probability of getting a prize?
Explanation: Total number of outcomes possible, n(S) = 10 + 25 = 35
Total number of prizes, n(E) = 10
9. A man buys a book for Rs.29.50 and sells it for Rs 31.10. Find his gain percent.
Explanation: So we have C.P. = 29.50
S.P. = 31.10
Gain = 31.10 - 29.50 = Rs. 1.6
10. Three candidates, Ajay, Bijoy & Chandu contested an election and received 1800, 3300 and votes 3900 respectively. What percent of the total votes did A get?
Explanation: Total no. of votes polled = (1800 + 3300 + 3900) = 9000.
Required percentage = (1800/9000 * 100)% = 20%.