PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database management system and it is a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity and correctness.PostgreSQL can handle the number of concurrent users and it is highly scalable.
1. It runs on all major operating systems including Unix, Linux and windows.
2. It includes most SQL data types.It also supports storage of binary large objects, including pictures, sounds, or video.
3. It has native programming interfaces for Java, Net, Perl, Python etc.
4. PostgreSQL requires very minimum maintained efforts because of its stability.
PostgreSQL has many advanced features, Some of them are:-
1. User-defined types
2. Table inheritance.
3. Sophisticated locking mechanism.
4. Foreign key referential integrity.
5. Views, rules, subquery.
6. Nested transactions (savepoints)
7. Multi-version concurrency control (MVCC)
8. Asynchronous replication.
Procedural language support allows users to write their own code in any language and can be executed by the PostgreSQL database server. These are the procedural languages -PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl and PL/Python, besides other non-standard procedural languages like PL/PHP, PL/V8, PL/Ruby, PL/Java, etc. are also supported.