Unix VI Editor MCQs
VI Editor MCQs : This section focuses on "VI Editor" in unix. These Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) should be practiced to improve the unix skills required for various interviews (campus interviews, walk-in interviews, company interviews), placements, entrance exams and other competitive examinations.
1. Which editor is used by the UNIX system to edit files?
Explanation: vi editor is used in UNIX.
2. What is the default mode of vi editor?
Explanation: The default mode of vi editor is command mode, where every key which is pressed is interpreted as a command to run on the text.
3. which mode is used for file handling and substitution?
Explanation: ex mode performs various file handling and substitution operations like saving the file, quitting the editor, search and replace operations etc.
4. Esc key is used for?
Explanation: To switch from the input mode to command mode press the "esc" key.
5. In vi editor ctrl-l is used to?
Explanation: If the screen gets garbled due to some reasons, we can use ctrl-l in command mode to wipe out.
6. While entering text in input mode the data is saved in _____
Explanation: If the file has not been saved yet then whatever we are inputting in it is stored in a temporary storage called buffer. To save the data entered in the buffer, we have to switch to ex-mode.
7. Which operator is used to show unused line in VI editior?
Explanation: A tilde represents an unused line.
8. Which command is used to moves the cursor down one line?
Explanation: j : Moves the cursor down one line
9. Which command is used to positions the cursor at the beginning of a line?
Explanation: 0 or | : Positions the cursor at the beginning of a line.
10. Which command is used to moves a paragraph forward?
Explanation: } : Moves a paragraph forward