Quantitative Aptitude Questions and Answers - Time and Distance
11. If a man walks at 20 km/hr instead of 10 km/hr, he would have walked 10 km more. The actual distance travelled by him is:
Explanation: Let the actual distance travelled be x km.
Then, x/10 = (x + 10)/20
20x = 10x + 100 => 10x = 100 => x = 10 km.
12. A man on tour travels first 320 km at 32 km/hr and the next 320 km at 160 km/hr. The average speed for the first 640 km of the tour is:
Explanation: Total time taken = ((320/32) + (320/160)) => 12 hrs
Average speed = 720/12 => 60 km/hr
13. In covering a distance of 60 km, Prateek takes 4 hours more than Divesh. If Prateek doubles his speed, then he would take 2 hour less than Divesh. Prateek speed is:
Explanation: Let Prateek speed be x km/hr.
Then, (60/2x) - (60/4x) = 6
24x = 60 => x = 2.5 km/hr.
14. kajal rides his scooter 32km at an average speed of 8 km/hr and again travels 24km at an average speed of 12 km/hr. What is her average speed for the entire trip approximately?
Explanation: Total time taken = ((32/8) + (24/12)) => 6hrs
Average speed =Total distance travelled /Total time taken => 56/6 => 9.33kmph
15. A car covers a distance of 2km in 1 minute whereas a bus covers a distance of 10 kms in 10
minutes. What is the ratio of their speed?
Explanation: Speed of the Car = 2km/min
Speed of the bus= 10km/10min => 1km/min
Speed of the car : Speed of the bus => 2 : 1
16. Siva leaves chennai at 3 am and reaches Hyderabad at 11 am . Anirudh leaves Hyderabad at 5 am
and reaches chennai at 12:00 noon. At what time do they cross each other?
Explanation: Time taken by Siva = 8 h
Time taken by Anirudh = 7 h
For your convenience take the product of times taken by both as a distance.
Then the distance = 56km
Since, Siva covers half of the distance in 2 hours(i.e at 5 am)
Now, the rest half (i.e 28 km) will be coverd by both Anirudh and Siva
Time taken by them = 28/15 = 1 hr 52 min
Thus , they will cross each other at 6 : 52am.
17. Karthiga drive a speed of 27 km/hr at a distance of 54 km. At what speed would she need to drive during the
next 3 hrs to have an average of 54km/hr for the entire driving session.
Explanation: Let the speed of driving be x km/hr
Total time taken = (54/27 hrs + 3 hrs)
=(2 hrs + 3 hrs)
Total distance covered = (54+3 x) km
Therefore (54 +3x) / 5= 54
54+3x = 270
So driving speed is x = 72 km/hr
18. I reach the bus stop 15 min late if I walk at 2 kmph Starting from my office . Instead, if I walk at 3 kmph, I
reach the bus stop 10 min early. How far is bus stop from my office?
Explanation: Let the distance between the office and the bus stop be 1 km
Time required at 2 kmph
= 1/2 = 30 mins
Time required at 3 kmph
= 1/3 = 20 mins
Difference = 30−20=10 min.
Actual difference in timings = 15+10 =25 min
If difference is 10 min, distance is 1 km
⇒ If difference is 25 min, distance is 2.5 km
Hence the required answer is 2.5 km
19. Arun steals a van at 8.30 am and drives it at 40km/hr. The theft is discovered at 9 a.m and the owner
sets off in another van at 55km/hr. when will he overtake arun?
Explanation: Suppose the arin is overtaken x hrs after 8.30 a.m
Then distance covered by arun in x hrs = distance covered by the owner in(x-1/2) hrs
40x = 55x -55/2
55x – 40x =55/2
X = 55/2*1/15
x= 1hr 50mins
so the thief is overtaken at 10.20 a.m
20. A bike starts with a speed of 60 km/hr at 8a.m. Due to the problem in engine it reduces its speed as 20
km/hr for every 1 hour. After 9 am, the time taken to covers 15 km is:
Explanation: Initial speed of the bike= 60 km/hr
Due to engine problem, speed is reduced to 20km for every 1 hour
Speed of the car at 9 am = (60 - 20) = 40km/hr
Time to cover 15 km at 40 km/hr = distance/speed
= 15/40 hours. = 3/8 hours
= 3/8 x 60 minutes = 45/2 minutes = 22 minutes + 1/2 minutes
= 22 minutes + 1/2 x 60 seconds
= 22 minutes and 30 seconds.