Quantitative Aptitude Questions and Answers - Problems on Ages
11. Amit is 18 years elder than Rohit. If 8 years ago, Amit was 6 times as old as Rohit, then find Amit’s present
Explanation: Let age of Rohit be y
Amit is 18 years elder than Rohit = (y + 18).
SoAmit’s age 8 years ago = (y + 18 – 8)
Rohit’s age before 8 years = (y – 8)
8 years ago, Amit is 6 times as old as Rohit
(y + 18 – 8) = 6 (y – 8)
(y + 10) = (6y – 48)
5y = 58
y = 11.6
Rohit’s age = 11.6years
Amit’s age = (y + 18) = (11.6 + 18) = 29.6years
12. 12 years ago M was half of N in age. If the ratio of their present ages is 4 : 5, what will be the total of their
Explanation: Let M's age 12 years ago = x years.
Then, N's age 12 years ago = 2x years.
(x + 12) / (2x+ l2) = 4/5
=> x = 4.
So, the total of their present ages =(x + 12 + 2x + 12)
= (3x + 24) = 36 years.
13. The total age of x and y is 48 years more than the total age of y and z. z is how many year younger than x
Explanation: Given that x+y = 48 + y+ z
x – z= 48 + y – y = 48
z is younger than x by 48 years
14. Eight years ago, the ratio of the ages of micky and Donald was 6:5, 12years hence, the ratio of their ages will be 11:10. What is Donald age at present
Explanation: Let 8 years ago the age of Micky and Donald be 6x and 5x resp.
((6x+8)+12) / ((5x+8)+12) = 11/10
10(6x+20) = 11(5x+20)
5x = 20 => x = 4
So Donald age is (5x+8) = 28
15. Keerthi's grandfather was 16 times older to her 32 years ago. He would be 6times of her age 16 years
from now. What was ratio of ages of keerthi and her grandfather 16 years ago.
Explanation: Let, keerthi's age 32 years ago = x,
Grandfather's age 32 years ago = 16x.
16 years from now, 6(x+32+16) = (16x+32+16)
=> x = 24
16 years ago ratio was:
(x+16)/ (16x+16) = (24+16) / (16*24+16)
40 /400 = >1 :10
16. Total of the ages of P, Q and R at present is 99 years. Eight years ago, the ratio of their ages was 4: 5: 6.
What is the age of Q at present
Explanation: Let their ages 8 years ago is4x, 5x and 6x years.
4x+8+5x + 8 + 6x + 8= 99
hence x= 5
Q’s present age = (5x + 8)
17. The sum of ages of 4 puppies born at the intervals of 2 years each is 48 years. What is the age of the
Explanation: Let the ages of puppies be x, (x + 2), (x + 4)and (x + 6) years.
Then, x + (x + 2) + (x + 4) + (x + 6) = 48
4x = 36,x = 9
Age of the youngest puppy = x = 9 years
18. P is 6 years older than Q who is twice as old as R. If the total of the ages of P, Q and R be 81, the how
old is Q?
Explanation: Let R's age be x years.
Then, Q's age = 2x years.
P's age = (2x + 6) years.
(2x + 6) + 2x + x = 81
5x = 75=> x =15.
Hence, Q's age = 2x = 30 years
19. A is two years older than B who is twice as old as C. If the total of the ages of A, B and C be 27, then how old is B?
Explanation: Let C's age be x years.
Then, B's age = 2x years.
A's age = (2x + 2) years.
(2x + 2) + 2x + x = 27
5x = 25
x = 5.
Hence, B's age = 2x = 10 years.
20. The sum of the present ages of a father and his son is 60 years. Six years ago, father's age was five times the age of the son. After 6 years, son's age will be:
Explanation: Let the present ages of son and father be x and (60 -x) years respectively.
Then, (60 - x) - 6 = 5(x - 6)
54 - x = 5x - 30
6x = 84
x = 14.
Son's age after 6 years = (x+ 6) = 20 years.